These terms and conditions apply to all students at Communicate School of English. All students who enrol for any course at Communicate School of English must accept and fully agree with the school terms and conditions. It is the student’s responsibility to ask for a translation at the reception, if they feel their English isn’t good enough to understand the terms and conditions below.
Please read through all of the General Terms and Conditions carefully.
- Minimum age for group classes is 16 years old. See the policy for students under 18 here.
- Under 18s. Parents and guardians must send a parental consent form before the student arrives at the school. Please ask at student services for this form – firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTRATION AND FEES
- Students’ registration and enrolment for courses, as well as extending courses, will serve as a binding agreement to follow the course to completion and to pay the full fees.
- When making a booking you must pay a non-refundable registration fee of £40.
Students who book their course before coming to school should make the payment by a bank transfer.
- Please note that you need to add £10 to the fee if you are making the international bank transfer.
- If you want accommodation, you must also pay: a non-refundable placement fee of £50 and a full accommodation fee.
- Course fees do not include course books, materials, travel expenses, social events where fees are charged, or personal and health insurance.
- Course fees are subject to change with no prior notice.
- Students who want to make payments monthly and pay for the first and the last month in advance, are entitled to discounted rates – as in the price list. Students then should pay each installment before the first lesson of every month, unless agreed otherwise at the registration. These students don’t pay for the last month. If a student decides to extend the course, the fee from the last month is moved to the month that the next course finishes.
- If visa is refused we will require a letter from UKBA confirming the refusal and we will refund all payments minus £160 administration fee. if student booked accommodation we will refund all payments minus £210 administration fee.
- A student applying for a Short Term Study Visa cannot be issued a Communicate School of English letter of acceptance until we have received all necessary payments: registration fee, course fee (50% of the course cost) and accommodation fees (normally 1 month accommodation desposit). A completed application form and a copy of your passport will also be required.
- It is the students responsibility to book their course early enough to allow the visa to be processed in time. You must let us know at least 2 weeks before you are due to start your course if you need to postpone your start date. If a course is postponed longer than 6 months we will not refund your registration fees and your accommodation deposit.
- All students studying on on student visas must supply Communicate School of English with their most up to date contact details whilst in Manchester and inform us of any changes. Details of next of kin in your home country will also be supplied and kept up to date.
- Students must show their passport and UK visa before starting their course.
- Any student breaking UK Border Agency (UKBA) immigration rules will have their course terminated. No refunds will be provided.
- No refunds will be given if a student withdraws their application after we have sent a visa letter.
- No refunds will be given if a student decides to study with another school after we have sent a visa letter.
- VISA REJECTION REFUND. In the case where your Short Term Study Visa application has been rejected, you will need to provide evidence of this refusal before a refund can be considered. Without the UKBA refusal letter no refund will be considered.
(i) We can refund course fees by sending us clear scanned copies of the rejection letter in full, all documents from British immigration and the original letter of enrolment to email@example.com and by post to our school address (Floor 5, 36 George St, Manchester, M1 4HA).
(ii) All associated administration fees will not be refunded. (£120 visa administration fee, £40 course registration fee, £50 accommodation booking fee and international transfer bank charges)
- If we discover any fraudulent methods have taken place to obtain documents from Communicate School of English to apply for a visa, UK Border Agency will be informed. Students will be expelled from the course and no refunds will be given.
- Any refund that is granted will only be for the course fees. Registration fees are nonrefundable.
- If a student is asked to leave the UK or is expelled from a course, no refund will not be given.
- It can take between 2 to 6 weeks to process a refund.
- A refund will be paid by bank transfer only.
COURSE CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- We strongly recommend that students take out insurance to cover fees and all costs in case of cancellation or leaving early.
If students pay for a course or extend their course at Communicate School of English, the school normally will not refund any of the fees under any circumstances. The exceptions may be:
– when students’ personal circumstances mean that a refund of course fees is appropriate (serious illness, death in the family). Refunds of this type are at the complete discretion of the management of Communicate School of English and may be refused for any reason. We may ask to see documents to prove the truth of any claims (for example a sick note or death certificate).
- If students give early cancellation notice – provided written notice of cancellation is received more than 4 weeks before the start of the course, all paid fees will be refunded less the registration fee, bank transfer fees and accommodation booking fee (if applicable).
- If written notice of cancellation is received less than 4 weeks and more than 2 weeks before the start of the course, Communicate School of English will refund 50% paid fees less the registration fee, bank transfer fees and accommodation booking fee (if applicable).
- If written notice of cancellation is received less than 2 weeks before the start of the course or when the course has already started, Communicate School of English will not refund any of the fees. Students who have received a visa letter and resign from a course at any time before its start date, will not receive a refund, unless they show a visa refusal letter.
- Refunds may take up to 30 days to process once a written notice of cancellation has been given.
- Communicate School of English does not permit the transfer of credit from one student to another.
- Group classes cannot be transferred to one-to-one lessons.
- Communicate School of English reserves the right to cancel, move or merge any class where there is insufficient demand or any other justifiable reason to do so.
- For cancelled classes the school will offer an alternative class of the same value or lesson vouchers.
- Cancellation of one-to-one classes: if a student wants to move or cancel a lesson, they need to notify the school a minimum of 24 hours in advance. If a student fails to do so, the school will not be able to reschedule the class to another day or refund the fee.
- Any student whose behaviour causes inconvenience, offence or distress to other students or school staff, will be excluded from lessons. Persistent offenders will be expelled from Communicate School of English and their course cancelled. No refund of course fees will be made.
LEVEL OF ENGLISH
- Students cannot choose the level at which they want to study as this will be determined by the Director of Studies.
- We recommend you take our online test on www.communicateschool.co.uk/test. This assessment, combined with a verbal placement test at school will determine your level of English.
HOLIDAYS, SICKNESS AND ATTENDANCE
- Students must ask for any time off from class in advance by emailing the school at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you give advance warning of 1 week, we will accept your request and this will be marked as holiday. You can take 1 week holiday if you join a 12 week course or 2 weeks holiday if you join a 24 week course. Those weeks will be added on to your course.
- If you have used all holidays, absences due to illness can also be added; this is on the condition that you show us a certificate from a doctor.
- Absences due to illness will only be added to the course if, over 3 days and a doctor’s certificate of illness is provided.
- Failure to arrive for classes on the start date and not contacting the school for more than two weeks from the start date will result in course cancellation. No fees will be refunded.
- All one-to-one or private classes which are up to 20 hours of study must be taken within 12 weeks from the registration or start date. One-to-one or private classes of more than 20 hours must be used within 24 weeks of the registration or start date.
- Students must understand that if they are not at the recommended level of English for a particular course or particular stage of the course they may be asked to stay on the same level until they are ready to move up. Students may also be asked to repeat a level if they have low attendance.
- Students are eligible to receive a Communicate School of English certificate on the condition that they attend a minimum of 80% of classes. We keep a record of student attendance.
- We expect students to be on time, attend every lesson and complete homework. If you regularly arrive late for lessons we have the right to not allow you into the class.
- The reception closes at 6:15 pm between Monday and Thursday. If students attending evening classes that start at 6 pm are more than 15 minutes late, they will not be let into the school building and there will be no refund for the class.
- Communicate School of English is closed for two weeks at Christmas and on Bank Holidays – two days at Easter time, two in May and one in August. The number of days that the school is closed, will be added on to your course.
- The school is closed on public holidays. Please see our site see www.communicateschool.co.uk for a list of school and UK public holidays.
PHOTOGRAPHS AND FILMING
- Communicate School of English reserves the right to use photographs of students or a film of students (in classes and during social activities) for promotional purposes.
- Students must inform the school in writing before the course starts if they do not allow us to use the photographs or video recordings in our promotional material.
- Communicate School of English reserves the right to use reviews left by students for promotional purposes.
- Under the Data Protection Act, Communicate School of English must protect any information collected from you. All personal information received is treated confidentially and will only be accessible by selected employees so they can carry our their work duties. The data is held on a secure password protected server.
- Your personal data will only be revealed to Police or school inspecting bodies if requested.
Under UK law, we must give information to UK Borders Agency (UKBA) if requested to do so.
- Students are advised that the school, its employees and its representatives accept no liability for personal injury and / or loss of / damage to personal property on the schools premises, whether by fire, burglary, theft or otherwise. This condition also applies to public and private places when students are on school trips or excursions.
- Communicate School of English is not liable for failure to perform its obligations if such failure is a result of Acts of God (including fire, flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane or other natural disaster), war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (regardless of whether war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation, terrorist activities, nationalisation, government sanction, blockage, embargo, labor dispute, strike, lockout or interruption or failure of electricity or telephone service. Refunds are not be made in such cases.
- Communicate School of English takes all feedback and complaints seriously, either made informally or formally. If you have a problem or complaint, email the student services officer at: email@example.com. Complaints about the school’s courses or services should be made immediately as complaints made after the course finish date will not be accepted.
- By registering and making the first payment or extending the course, students confirm that they have read, understood and agreed with the above terms and conditions.
- A Communicate School of English student certificate confirms the level of study at the end of the course. The certificate will only be presented if attendance is above 80%.
- Communicate School of English has the right to change teachers at any time during the course.
Please read through all of the Accommodation – Terms and Conditions carefully.
BOOKING AND CONFIRMATION
- Accommodation can only be booked for students of Communicate School of English and where course fees have been received.
- Accommodation will only be reserved on receipt of a fully completed application form and full payment.
- The minimum period of stay is four weeks. However, if your course is less than four weeks, we can offer accommodation from 1 week to 4 weeks.
- When extending accommodation students must pay the school, not the host. If the student pays the host directly, they break Communicate School Terms and Conditions and their course may result in suspension.
- When extending a stay payments must be made at least one week in advance before the end of the previous booking. Otherwise the student may not be able to stay in the same accommodation and will need to pay the £50 administration fee so new accommodation can be organised, if available.
- Communicate School of English reserves the right to cancel or change arrangements without prior notice.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS – RESIDENCE
- Pre-paid stays cancelled at least 21 days before the booking start date will receive a full refund less the booking fee.
- Pre-paid stays cancelled less than 21 days before the start date will receive a refund less the booking fee and 2 weeks’ worth of accommodation charge.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS – HOMESTAY
- Pre-paid stays cancelled at least 10 days before the booking start date will receive a full refund less the booking fee.
- Pre-paid stays cancelled less than 10 days before the start date will receive a refund less the booking fee and 1 week’s worth of accommodation charge.
- The arrival date can be postponed with no charge if the school is informed at least 10 days before the start date.
- One week’s accommodation fee will be charged if the school is given less than 10 days’ notice of a change in arrival date.
LATE ARRIVAL/EARLY DEPARTURE/POSTPONING THE BOOKING DATE
- NO refund if the student arrives late
- NO refund if the student leaves accommodation early
LATE ARRIVAL/EARLY DEPARTURE/POSTPONING THE BOOKING DATE
- NO refund if the student arrives late
- NO refund if the student leaves accommodation early
- The arrival date can be postponed (changed to a later date) if the school is informed at least 10 days (10x 24 hours) before the start date.
- One week’s accommodation fee will be charged if the school is given less than 10 day’s notice of a change in arrival date.
CHANGE OF ACCOMMODATION
- The student will be charged the £50 change of accommodation fee if they choose to change their accommodation before the end of their booked date.
- The student will not be charged the £50 change of accommodation fee if there is a serious problem for example, if there is a temporary problem with the heating or hot water or broken bedroom furniture. Where possible Communicate School will endeavour to resolve the issue with the host. If it cannot be resolved Communicate School will find alternative accommodation.
- In neither circumstances will the student be refunded the cost of the accommodation.
- Students must organise their own insurance for the period they are in the UK. This insurance should cover
1. Medical treatment while in the UK (Please be aware that students from outside the EEA may have to pay for medical treatment)
2. Personal risk
3. Loss/theft and damage to personal property.
STUDENTS MUST AGREE TO:
- Inform Communicate School of English on the Accommodation Booking Form of any disability and special needs
- Inform Communicate School of English on the Accommodation Booking Form of all flight details and arrival time.
- Not to smoke indoors in any accommodation.
- Look after house keys during your stay and return them at the end of the stay. There may be a charge of £20 for the key replacement.
- You are liable for any damage they cause to the host family’s property.
- Keep your bedroom, the bathroom and other shared areas of the house clean and tidy. Offer help with shared household duties
- Always be friendly and treat your host and house mates with respect and they will do the same.
INFORMATION ABOUT HOMESTAY ACCOMMODATION
- Allow 20-40 minutes travelling time by public transport from homestay to the school.
- Do not use the host’s telephone. The cost of it is not included in your accommodation fee.
- Let your host know if you are going to be late for a meal.
- Inform host family in advance if planning to stay out late or out overnight.
- Do not disturb host family when returning home late; ask what time you should be at home every evening.
- Ask permission each time to use facilities in the living room or kitchen at homestay.
- You are expected to respect, abide and behave with good manner by the host’s reasonable schedule and house rules. Failure to do so may result in removing you from the accommodation.
- If you are removed from homestay accommodation as a result of bad behaviour no refund will be given.
- You may not bring visitors back to your home without the consent of the host.
- Remember that host is allowed to accept students from other schools at the time of your stay.
- Host has the right to accept guests or family members for the night during your stay.
- Leave shoes you wear outside at the entrance; only wear a pair of clean slippers inside the house, so that it helps keep the floor and carpets clean.
- Do check to make sure all the doors and windows are closed and locked before you leave the house.
INFORMATION ABOUT STUDENT HALLS
- Do check to make sure all cooking equipment (e.g. gas cooker) is turned off after use. Clean the cooking equipment (gas cooker, microwave) after use.
- Clean the toilet, washing basin and bath after use.
- Turn off all the lights before leaving the room.
- Keep the post on the shelf at the entrance.
- Recycle and dispose of rubbish properly: separate general waste, paper waste, bottles/tins/cans and food waste from each other.
- Follow the rules: no overnight guests, no pets, no shouting or disturbing neighbours.
- Where applicable pay the deposit of £150. The student halls will return the deposit at the end of the student’s stay if there is no damage or need for excessive cleaning. Cost of repairing damage or excessive cleaning will be paid from the deposit.