Useful Information - Communicate School
To Top

Students under 18 years old

Communicate School of English accepts students who are under 18 years old as well as adults.

  • Children under the age of 16 will only be taught in one-to-one or in small classes for under 16s.
  • 16 and 17 year olds will be enrolled as adults and take part in adult classes.
  • We will notify the parents, guardians or host family if the student is more than 20 minutes late for their class. The school must be notified if the student cannot attend their lessons.
  • Students who are 16 to 18 years old are permitted to attend social events together with adult students, except for those events at bars or pubs which serve alcohol, or cinema trips where there is an over 18 age restriction. In this case an alternative activity will be organised for students under 18. We do not organise social activities for students under 16 years old and they are not included in any course.
  • We only arrange accommodation for students who are 16 or over and we will only accept under 16s if they are staying with parents or their family. We will require confirmation in writing from the parents or legal guardians.
  • All social events are supervised by adult members of staff, all of whom are DBS checked.
  • The ratio of supervision for offsite activities is one member of staff to 15-20 students.
  • We will require a 24 hour contact number and email for the parents or legal guardians of students. This must be provided at registration.
  • The school has an emergency contact number which can be contacted 24 hours. This is 07482 660030.
  • Students under 18 years old will be supervised by the school manager whilst in the school. However, they will not be supervised outside of scheduled tuition time. Outside of lesson times they will be expected to travel directly home to their parent, legal guardian or host family. Students under 18 years old will be expected to have returned to their family by at least 10pm at night, and if the student is not home by this time then the family or guardian should report the student missing to the school manager who, if unable to trace the student before 11pm, will report the student missing to the police.
  • Communicate school has a safeguarding policy which can be viewed in the office of the school. The safeguarding policy contains procedures in the event of a disclosure or allegation of abuse and the referral to official agencies.
  • Parents or Guardians must inform Communicate of any medical condition or disability of a prospective student. If such information has not been provided Communicate may refuse to accept the student. The student will have to return home at their own expense. Communicate staff and host families cannot be responsible for administering or safeguarding medicines. Students who are prescribed medication are asked to bring a letter from the doctor with the name of the medicine, the dosage and frequency of taking it and the name of the condition for which it has been prescribed, clearly described in English. This is in case the student needs medical attention whilst in our care. In the event that a student is taking regular medication, the student must be responsible for the care and administration of their own medication. Communicate staff will NOT administer medication to the student. Communicate requires written confirmation from the student or parent/legal guardian to that effect prior to accepting the student.
  • Students under 18 will have one-to-one tutorials with the teacher approximately every month
  • NB. In accordance with statutory requirements child safeguarding disclosures cannot be retained as a confidential matter. All formal disclosures by a person under 18 years of age must be reported.
To Top

Level assessment

1. There are two stages: written and spoken assessment. The written part is in a form of an online grammar test on the school’s website. The speaking skills are assessed by the Director of Studies when you first arrive in the school.

2. The Director of Studies will choose the most suitable course for you and give you information about your level, class times, course book and classroom allocation.

To Top

Course books

A course book is £30 and you must buy it before your course. Students who study short courses, up to 6 weeks, can borrow the book for a deposit of £30, which is refundable on a strict condition that the book is returned in exactly the same condition as when it was borrowed. Students who study longer courses are recommended to use books and write in pencil as this will help in studies. Students who study intensive courses will need more than one book.

To Top

Studying tips

Make the most of your study:

  • take notes during the lesson
  • ask your teacher questions
  • attend social activities organised by the school; speak English outside the classroom
  • one lesson in 12 weeks may be in the form of an organised social activity and it is considered an important part of your English learning experience
  • do your homework
  • watch English TV, especially programmes that are of your interest
  • revise – even 10-15 min a day will bring good results
To Top

English only in school

We have a strict rule of speaking English only in the school. Always speak English, in your lessons and at break times. If your classmate speaks your language, speak English with them too. It may first seem strange but it will soon become natural.

To Top


If you study General English or exam preparation courses, you will regularly take tests that will allow you and your teacher to check the progress and what you may still need to work on. If you study IELTS you will write monthly mock tests.

These tests are written and include questions on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and reading. You will also be tested informally in class based on how well you do in group activities, and your understanding of new language.

Sometimes teachers will give you smaller tests on vocabulary, spelling and grammar, but they will always tell you when these tests are going to be.

To Top

Certificates and reports

At the end of your General English course you will receive a detailed certificate of your proficiency in English showing your level assessment according to the Common European Framework (CEFR). The assessment will be based on the results from the tests during your study. The attendance must be minimum 80% to receive the certificate.

If you would like a written report when you finish your course, tell your teacher and they will prepare one for you.

To Top

Punctuality and attendance

It is important that you arrive on time for lessons. If this is not possible, for example due to work commitments, please let us know. lf you arrive after class start time, your attendance will be marked as late. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late after your class has started, you may not be able to enter the classroom until break time.

lf you are absent for more than one day, please telephone or email the school or send information with a classmate. We will call you at the end of the week if you have not attended lessons that week to check that you are ok and if there is anything we can do to help you.

To Top

Mobile phone use

Do not use your mobile phone during lessons. If it is urgent, you must ask permission from your teacher beforehand and then take the call in an empty room.

To Top

Your holidays and missed classes

Each student is entitled to a one week holiday for every 12 weeks of study. If you are planning to take holidays and want to recover the missed classes, send an email with the holiday dates before you go away or speak to a receptionist who will record it in your file. You must book your holiday at least one day in advance.

If you are ill and cannot attend your classes, speak to a student support officer at the school reception as soon as you can. You can get other classes if you missed more than 3 days but only on the condition that you bring a note from a doctor. Classes missed for any other reasons (job interview, one-day sickness, sickness without a doctor’s note, etc.) cannot be recovered and students will not get extra classes instead.

To Top

Cancellations and refunds

There are no refunds on courses that a student has started attending. Lessons cannot be transferred from one student to another. Please see the full terms and conditions: TERMS AND CONDITIONS

To Top

Bank holidays

2018 bank holidays / national days:

New Year’s Day* – Monday 1st January 2018

Good Friday – Friday 30th March 2018

Easter Monday – Monday 2nd April 2018

Early May Bank Holiday – Monday 7th May 2018

Spring Bank Holiday – Monday 28th May 2018

Summer Bank Holiday – Monday 27th August 2018

Christmas Day* – Tuesday 25th December 2018

Boxing Day* – Wednesday 26th December 2018

New Year’s Day* – Tuesday 1st January 2019

*You do not pay for missed classes; your lessons will be moved to other days.

To Top

Teaching methods

Our main commitment is to make learning English interesting and challenging. Communicate School of English practices the Communicative Language Teaching approach (CLT) in General English, Conversation and partly in First and Advanced Certificate exam preparation classes.

All the English teachers are qualified, we always review classes to make our students happy. Generally, a course book will be followed, along with a wide range of teaching methods and learning resources. For example:

  • Fluency-based activities
  • Interviews
  • Games
  • Use of grammar in realistic life situations
  • Pronunciation focused activities
  • Role play/simulations
  • Group work activities
  • Discussion and Individual presentations
  • English recordings and videos
  • Educational visits
  • Internet research and relevant websites
  • Tutorials
  • English Conversation Class

In order to see what you are going to study on the course look at the first pages in your course book or ask the office for a course outline. If you want to know what you are going to study in your first lesson, ask a student support officer to give you this information. You can also ask her for a folder with a scheme of work for your course, which describes it in full detail.

To Top

Length of lessons and breaks

For General English, IELTS, First / Advanced Certificate and Conversation classes are comprised of 3 lessons of 50 min.

1 class = 3 lessons x 50min = 2 hours and 30 minutes.

There is always a 10 minute break in the middle of a class.

If you study a full time or intensive course:

a) you may have more than 1 class in one day.
b) you may study with more than one group of students during a week.

You will get the timetable after the level assessment, before you start the course. If there are any times or days during which you cannot study, inform us before you register and we will try to adapt your timetable if possible.

To Top

Continuous enrolment

Continuous Enrolment

When you join a class, please remember that you may join in the middle of a course and that other students have studied things before you. This does not mean you will be behind with the material. You may already know the material or you will do it at some point in the future. We will give you a course outline before you start so you can see what you will be doing in your course. Teachers will usually do a short revision from a previous lesson and check homework, but they will not ask you to give answers. This is an opportunity to get to know what was done in the last lesson. Don’t worry if you are not sure the answers to the revision exercise, the teacher will help you to catch up.

To Top

Moving levels

The teachers regularly have meetings about the school and students and we discuss your progress together with your test results. If it is clear that you have achieved the standard required at your level, we may recommend that you move up a level. One of the things that helps us decide if a student can move up is a result above 90% in 2 consecutive tests. Please remember that this is not just based on your test results, but on your performance in class, your homework and your spoken English.

To Top


We have individual study booths with some computers. Students are welcome to use these computers and there is a list of useful self-study websites on the wall and at the end of this handbook. If a classroom is free, students can use it for self-study.

We have some books for you to borrow in the reception, there are English novels, as well as graded readers; books adapted for English Language Learners. See the reception staff in the office if you would like to borrow one.

Some of the course books come with a CD Rom which you can use to practise at home, (Total English and FCE Gold). New English File has a Students website:

To Top

Real English

  • Try to listen to the radio whenever you can and podcasts on the internet (
  • Read English newspapers. The Metro is free on all buses and trams
  • When you watch movies, don’t use subtitles in your own language, use English subtitles, you will learn a lot faster!
  • Try to speak English either with native speakers or other students whenever you can outside of class.
To Top

Student accommodation

Speak to the reception staff in the office if you need help or advice to find suitable accommodation in Manchester. An accommodation register is maintained and a student support officer acts as the accommodation officer. She can offer support in finding suitable accommodation and she can be contacted regarding any problems with your accommodation.

If you prefer, you can organise your own accommodation*. Please ask for a list of local hotels and hostels in Manchester City Centre. Here is some useful advice:

  • Always do research on accommodation before you make a booking and make any payments.
  • You may be asked to sign a contract for private flats; make sure you read this carefully and get a translation if possible.
  • Bills are generally not included when renting a private flat; make sure you check this and find out how much your bills might be each month. These might include water, gas, electricity, internet, TV licence and council tax.
  • The school will of course give you advice if you need it.

*Please note, the school is not responsible for any accommodation that you book directly.

For further information about our Homestay Accommodation or Halls of Residence see below.

To Top

Cultural and social activities

We regularly organise social activities which are a great way to practise your English, meet friends and teachers. You can read about the next activity on the board in the student room. Activities take place a few times per week. They have included:

  • Cinema Night
  • British Food Night
  • International Food Night
  • Pub Quiz Night
  • Bowling
  • Liverpool Trip
  • Games Night

Most activities are within a walking distance of the school. However, students will need to pay for public transport and personal expenses, like food and drink. We will tell you before the social activity if you need to bring any money. A drink in a café is £3, a return tram ticket £4, bowling £8, train ticket to Liverpool £12, a meal in a restaurant between £6 and £15.

One lesson in 12 weeks may be in the form of an organised social activity and it is considered an important part of your English learning experience. You can practise your English conversation and have an opportunity to meet other students. These activities may include:

  • Science and Industry Museum
  • Police Museum Trip
  • Speaking Classes at Manchester Art Gallery
  • Imperial War Museum
  • Central Library
To Top

Telling us what you think

We will sometimes give you a form to complete called a tutorial. This is a chance for you to speak to your teacher about the course, the course book, and your progress in the class.

We will also sometimes give you a questionnaire to complete about the school in general, and this is your chance to make suggestions.

To Top


There are several formal exams you can take to prove your level of English, and at Communicate we have some classes to help you prepare for these (FCE, CAE, IELTS)

Cambridge English First (FCE) for CEFR B2 or Upper-Intermediate level (£150)

Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) for CEFR C1 or Advanced Level (£150)

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (£165)

You can take the FCE and CAE examinations at the following location in Manchester:

ELC Manchester Academy of English, St Margaret’s Chambers, Newton Street, Manchester


You can take the IELTS Exam (for applying to university) at the University of Manchester Language Centre and the exams are every month.


To Top

Student safety

We want you to be safe at school and around Manchester. We have an emergency contact number which is 07482660030 or in a medical, police or fire emergency you can call 999.

* There is a lot of mobile phone theft in Manchester city centre. Do not walk around on skype or facetime because this is when a lot of phones are stolen.

* Be careful with your bags and phones when you are in a café. Do not leave bags or phones on tables.

* Do not let anyone you don’t know into the school building.

If you are worried about anything else, ask a teacher or the reception staff in the office.

To Top

School policy on abusive behaviour

Communicate will not allow any abusive behaviour.

What is abusive behaviour?

Abusive behaviour can take many forms:

  • It might be physical – for example if you push, hit or kick someone (violence) or damaging property.
  • It can be verbal – such as making fun of people, calling them names or threatening people.
  • It can be non-verbal – such as ignoring someone or excluding them.

It can create a scary environment, or leave you feeling upset, vulnerable or threatened. It could happen anywhere – not just in school but on the street, in our accommodation or in your homestay.

You need to tell your teacher, the student representative or a student support officer if you suffer from any of this type of behaviour from anyone – staff or student.

We hope all our students find studying at Communicate a comfortable, relaxing and safe experience and we are always happy to hear anything you have to say – good or bad.

To Top

Complaint procedure

If you have any problems or if you are unhappy with anything (for example behaviour of a student or a member of staff, your progress, timetable, teacher, lessons, accommodation or anything else) you should speak to your teacher or a student support officer first. They will try to help you with the problem.

If you still have a problem:

1. Fill in the complaint form – it is on the notice board in the main corridor of the school.

2. Give it to a student support officer, the Principal or Assistant Director of Studies.

3. We will write down a report which we will keep in the office.

4. We will take further action to resolve the problem and help.

We always try our best to help you with any problems but if you are still not happy, as we are an accredited English centre, you can contact English UK for further advice:

To Top

Applying to university

If you want to go to university to study in the UK you usually need to apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS). Their website is – go to the section for International Students. See a student support officer for more information and advice.

1. Check the entry requirements – usually previous qualifications (or international equivalents) you should have, as well as whether you are suitable for the course. 2. Demonstrate your English language skills – proof you will be able to study in the UK (this is also required for some visa applications). This is usually the IELTS exam, but may sometimes be the Cambridge FCE, CAE or CPE exam.

3. Possibly have an interview, audition or provide a portfolio – some course providers like to speak to you in person before deciding whether to make you an offer.

4. Meet any conditions of an offer – if you are still studying for a qualification you need in order to get on a UK higher education course, the course provider might make you a conditional offer.

5. Apply for a range of courses with different requirements – this way if your results are better or worse than expected, you will have more than one choice. Remember you might need to arrange a student visa too, as well as accommodation with the course provider.

To Top

Student study agreement

The student agrees to attend lessons regularly and punctually and understands that the school will act in circumstances where students fail to do so.

The student will respect Communicate School rules, which appear below:

  • Speak English only in the classroom at all times.
  • Attend on time and on a regular basis.
  • Inform the school of a change of your local address immediately.
  • No smoking anywhere inside the building.
  • No mobile phone calls during lessons. lf it is urgent, you must ask permission from your teacher beforehand and then take the call in an empty room where you will not disturb other students. As a general rule, phones should be switched off or put on “silent”.
  • No loud talking in the corridor. You should not disturb other classes.
  • Respect classmates; understand religious and cultural differences and respect teachers and any staff who work in the building.
  • Take good care of facilities available to you such as computers, books, etc.
  • Return to the school any books and CDs borrowed or pay the relevant costs.
  • Pay tuition fees on the date they are due. The student may not be allowed into the classroom if they delay payment of their fees. Course fees are not refundable once you have started your course.


To Top



Manchester has a bus, tram and train service.

Where to buy your ticket:

Buses – The bus driver can sell you a single journey ticket, (on many routes) a return ticket, or a Day Saver. Bus drivers only take cash, but are happy to give change when they are able. If you travel on stagecoach buses, you can get a weekly megarider bus ticket which costs £15. If you travel on the Magic Bus along Wilmslow road, you can get a Magic Rider for £7.50. Get your ticket from the bus driver. More information can be found about buses on the official Transport for Greater Manchester website:

Trains – Tickets are available from staffed stations or ticket machines, otherwise pay on the train. Single tickets, return tickets and day tickets are available.

Trams (Metrolink) – Buy your ticket from the machine located on the platform. Single tickets, return tickets, daysaver tickets and season tickets are available. Ticket machines accept coins, notes and credit and debit cards.

Travel from Manchester Airport – you can get a train from Manchester airport to the city centre. They are every 15 minutes and the journey takes 20 minutes. The train ticket is about £4.50 which you can buy at the ticket office or from the machines.

Travel from John Lennon Liverpool Airport – you can get a National Express bus to Manchester city centre. Book online here.

More information can be found on the Transport for Greater Manchester website:

To Top

Manchester Central Library

You may be able to join Manchester central library where you can find resources such as course books, story books, CDs, magazines and many more. We will be happy to issue our registered students with a letter of introduction if they decide to join. The library’s contact details are:

Manchester Central Library
St. Peter’s Square
Manchester M2 5PD
Telephone: 0161 234 1900

ln order to join the library, you will need a proof of ID.

The library is open from 9am to 8pm Monday to Thursday and from 9am to 5pm on Fridays.

Telephone number is 0161 234 1972. More information can be found on the library website


Please note that it is illegal to copy books and other publications protected by copyright law without consent from the publisher. lt is also illegal to download software protected by copyright law without consent given by the publisher.

Communicate School does not permit the copying of course books or other published material or downloading software protected by copyright law without consent given by the publisher. Any such copying is in breach of copyright law and therefore illegal. Further information can be found on Copyright Licensing Agency website at

To Top

Bookshops and stationers

Waterstone’s Booksellers
Arndale Centre
Market Street
Manchester M4 3AQ
Tel: 0161 832 8563

Waterstone’s Booksellers
Deansgate: 91-93 Deansgate
Manchester M3 2BW
Tel: 0161 837 3000

WHSmith, Arndale Centre
Market Street
Manchester M4 3AD
Tel: 0161 834 8300

To Top

Medical treatment and insurance

If you need emergency treatment in the UK it is usually free on the NHS (National Health Service) but you may have to pay for other types of treatment (non-emergency, hospital appointments, dentist).

If you are a visitor from the European Economic Area (EEA) then you are strongly advised to bring a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you, otherwise you may be charged for your healthcare. The EHIC means you can get healthcare free or cheaper than usual.

However, the EHIC is not a replacement for medical insurance. Some services that would be free in your home country may not be free here and medical insurance is important if anything serious happens. If you come from outside the EEC, we strongly advise you to get medical insurance.

If you want to register with your local health centre, you might need a letter of introduction issued by the school. Such letters may be issued to our registered students upon application.

Your local medical centres, GPs, dentists and hospitals can be found at The college is able to assist you in finding address and contact details of the above centres.

Speak to a student support officer at reception to get more information.

To Top

Police registration

Visa nationals may have to report to and register with the police if this is mentioned on their visas. Such students normally have 7 days to do so.

lf you have to register with the police, then you may need the following:

  • Your course acceptance letter or an introduction letter from the college
  • Your passport
  • Two photographs
  • £34.00 registration fee

The police station is within walking distance from the school. Their contact details are as follows:

International Visitors Registration Office
Greater Manchester Police
Bootle Street
Manchester M2 5GU
Tel: 0161 856 3320

To Top

Places of worship

Roman Catholic

St Augustine’s Parish and University Chaplaincy
Grosvenor Square
All Saints
Manchester M15 6BW
Tel: 0161 236 6762

Church of England

Manchester Cathedral
Victoria Street
Manchester M3 1SX
Tel: 0161 833 2220


Manchester Central Mosque & Islamic Cultural Centre
20 Upper Park Road
Victoria Park
Manchester M14 5RU
Tel: 0161 224 4119


Krishna Dharma
20 Mayfield Road
Whalley Range
Manchester M16 8FT
Tel: 01923 857244


Gurdwara Sikh Temple
Monton Street
Manchester M14 4GP
Tel:0161 226 1131


Cheetham Hebrew Congregation
453 Cheetham Hill Road
Salford M8 7PA
Tel: 0161 740 7788

To Top


All the services below are free and confidential:

Ambulance: In an emergency, if you need an ambulance for yourself or someone else, you need to call 999 and ask for ambulance service. You will need to provide your name, address and you may be asked questions on your/other person’s health.

NHS Direct: (telephone advice line) 0845 4647. For all health information including advice on finding a doctor, dentist, pharmacy and support groups. An interpreter service is available free of charge — ask for the language you wish to use.


Brook, Commonwealth House
Lever Street
Manchester M4 5AZ
Tel: 0161 237 3001

Alcohol and Drug Services:

87 Oldham Street
Manchester M4 1LW
Tel: 0161 834 9777

Mental Health:

lf you feel depressed, seek help from your GP. lf they think you need specialist help, they will refer you to them. lf you cannot or do not want to speak to your GP, you can contact the Samaritans 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 08457 909 090. Their website is

Counselling Services:

If your GP thinks you need counselling, they refer you to a counsellor. Therefore, if you think you need this service, please contact your GP.

Domestic Violence:

lf you suffer domestic violence, you can call the 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

If you have any worries at all, please speak to a student support officer at the school reception.

To Top

Manchester City Council

Manchester Advice: People living in Manchester can get free and confidential information and advice on benefits, housing rights, adult and social care, education, leisure, consumer law and basic immigration rights through Manchester Advice based in Town Hall Extension. Contact details of Manchester Advice are as follows:

Manchester Advice
Town Hall Extension
Manchester M60 2AF
(Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm, Wednesdays 10:00am to 4:30pm)
Tel: 0161 234 5678
(Monday to Friday 10:00am to 4:00pm)

Consumer Advice Service: If you have paid money for goods or services and you are not happy with what you have received, you can phone Consumer Direct on 0845 040 506 for advice. Their address is:

Consumer Advice
Town Hall Extension
PO Box 536
St Peter Square

Council Tax: Full-time students may be able to apply for exemption or a reduction in their council tax. For complete information and how to apply visit Manchester City Council website

International Society: Membership fee for students from £7 to £20 per year, depending on when you join. It has 3000 members from 130 countries; offers advice as well as organizes social events.

William Kay House
327 Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PG
Tel: 0161 275 4959

To Top

Greater Manchester Police

Information: For useful information on crime reduction, personal security, physical security, bogus callers, home security whilst away, home watch and neighbourhood watch, tips on choosing accommodation, living in rented or temporary accommodation you can visit the Greater Manchester Police website

Emergency: In an emergency you can call 999 and ask for police. You will need to provide your full name, address and the reason for calling.

Arrest: You are advised to comply with the British law and not to break it. If you are arrested by the police, you have three rights: right to inform someone of your arrest, right to consult the law and right to access legal help (a solicitor).

The address of the police station located in central Manchester is:

31 Bootle Street
Manchester M2 5NS
Tel: 0161 872 5050.

To Top

Sport centres

lf you would like to keep fit and do some physical activities during your stay and study in Manchester, you can have access to sports facilities at the centres below:

Moss Side Leisure Centre:

Moss Lane East
Moss Side
Manchester M15 5NN
Tel: 0161 226 5015
Email: (No joining fee)

Abraham Moss Leisure Centre:

Crescent Road
Manchester M8 5UF
Tel: 0161 720 7622
Email: (No joining fee)

Manchester Aquatics Centre:

2 Booth Street East
Manchester M13 9SS
Tel: 0161 275 9450
Email: (No joining fee)

Please note that there is no joining fee for the above centres, however you will need to pay a membership fee. Please contact the centres for their membership fees.

To Top

The law in the United Kingdom

– It is illegal to purchase alcohol or tobacco products under the age of 18.

– All drugs (cannabis, ecstasy, heroin, cocaine etc) are illegal to buy, sell or possess. You can contact Alcohol and Drug Services Head Office on 0161 834 9777 or at:

87 Oldham Street
Manchester M4 1LW

For problems related to alcohol you can contact Alcoholics Anonymous national advice line on 0845 769 7555.

– Driving — you must be at least 17 years of age and hold a full driving license/permit issued in your home country. You may only drive for up to 12 months from the date of arrival in the UK using this license. After 12 months you MUST contact the DVLA ( to find out what you must do.

– For information on roads and vehicles including operation and maintenance of national and local roads in England, traffic signs, insurance, penalties, required standards for vehicle efficiency, safety and registration, cleaner fuels and speed on roads visit the Department for Transport’s website

– If you have any problems concerning the law, housing, immigration and your Rights whilst staying in the UK then you can contact The Citizens Advice Bureau (free of charge) or call Manchester Central Citizens Advice Bureau on 0161 834 9057.

To Top

Homestay accommodation


What is homestay accommodation?

One of the most popular types of accommodation is staying at a local Manchester homestay. This means that you are a household member, eat and relax with your hosts. Mancunians (people from Manchester) are famous for their humour, generosity and friendliness. You may stay with one person, two people or the whole family. Staying with hosts in Manchester is a very enjoyable and beneficial experience which means you will get to know British people and an effective way to immerse yourself in the English language.

What happens when you stay at homestay accommodation?

The hosts will regard you as a guest and you will be expected to follow the house rules. All hosts provide a private room with access to all living areas in the house and two meals. In most cases students will be expected to share the bathroom. Experience has shown us that living with a host is the most interesting and effective way to become fully immersed in English language and culture.

Hosts will always do their best to involve you in daily conversation while making you feel as comfortable as possible in their home. Remember that they may have different customs and habits than perhaps you are used to. Meals will be prepared according to local tradition. All houses are within 45 minutes travelling time of the school and have easy access to public transport.

Some of the questions you should ask yourself if considering the homestay option:

1. Am I prepared to adapt to the lifestyles of the hosts?

2. Will I be happy to live by the house rules?

3. Will the hosts be able to satisfy my food and diet requirements?

How do I get the best out of staying at homestay accommodation?

Open and honest communication is perhaps the most important factor to successfully living with hosts. When all parties concerned know what is expected of them – and what to expect in return – an honest relationship can develop. To avoid cultural confusion after you move in, make sure to clarify certain details before you begin your stay. Ask about sleeping arrangements and where to store your possessions, ask about the routine when it comes to meal times.

It is also important to familiarise yourself to laundry facilities, communication technology such as the Internet and telephone, pets and younger children who are living at the home.

You should also ask if the hosts have any curfew rules and whether you are free to drink alcohol or smoke.

Cleanliness is an important issue

Cleanliness is an important factor when showing respect and consideration to the hosts.

Please put dirty laundry in the laundry bag, wash it on a regular basis, hang up wet towels and clean your bedroom regularly.

There are other cleaning tasks you should do during your stay such as: changing your sheets now and then, washing up after you have eaten or prepared food (if you chose self-catering option), wiping down all kitchen surfaces you may have stained, keeping all school or work supplies neatly tucked away, leaving any room as clean as you found it and pitching in during a general family clean up.

Care and considerations

If students care and respect the hosts, they will receive the same treatment in return and the stay will be all the more worthwhile.

Anyone can pay rent and become a tenant, but becoming a part of the family and making lasting relationships requires caring.

Living with a host should be a time for you to experience a new culture. With a small amount of communication, cleanliness and caring, living with a host will be a superb experience that you can take home and cherish.

Overview of the House Rules


  • In the case that you’re unhappy with something, please discuss it with your host. If the problem continues, speak to a student support officer at the school reception and alternative accommodation may be found.
  • Find out what the protocol is for internet and the telephone when you arrive. A suitable arrangement regarding phone and internet use should be discussed on the first day.
  • Smoking is only permitted with the prior agreement.
  • If you plan to be out overnight, let the host know so they do not worry about you.
  • If you are planning to eat out, let your host know beforehand so that they do not prepare a meal for you.
  • Show respect for the property. If you break or damage anything, be honest about it and offer to pay for it.
  • If you are cold, ask for extra bedding and blankets.
  • Remember to switch lights off when you leave the room.
  • Be punctual for meals.
  • Don’t help yourself to food unless it is clear you can do so.
  • Keep your room tidy.
  • Change your sheets and bed linen.
  • Leave the bathroom clean after you have finished. Any questions regarding the use of bathing/toilet facilities, discuss these with the host. Women should ask about the arrangements for the disposal of sanitary towels.
  • Make yourself aware of the house rules regarding health and safety.
  • If you want to invite friends to the house remember to ask permission first.
To Top

Halls of residence

Halls of Residence

What are Halls of Residence?

Halls of Residence are usually big buildings where lots of students live at the same time. They are sociable places and you will have freedom to come and go when you like, but they can also be busy.

Will I have my own room?

Yes. You will have a single room with a bed, wardrobe and a desk.

Can I have my own bathroom?

You will usually share a bathroom with other students but you can have an en suite room for an extra £15 a week. This is subject to availability.

Is there somewhere to cook?

Yes. You will share kitchen facilities with other students.

Some of the questions you should ask yourself if considering halls of residence

1. Am I happy to live with other students from all over the world?

2. Can I cook for myself and keep the communal areas clean?

3. Will I remember to lock my door and keep my valuables safe?


A benefit of student halls is that you have freedom to come and go whenever you like. However, this also means that halls of residence are busy places and people go in and out of them all the time. You must make sure that you lock your room and keep your windows shut when you are not there. There will sometimes be a receptionist, but not always, so you must make sure you do not let anyone into the building you do not know.

Accreditations and memberships

How to find us

Our Address

Communicate School
Murray House
85 Piccadilly
M1 2DA


+44 (0)161 2358 480